Among the Medici hunting reserves, that of Barco Reale is one of the largest and most complete for number and quality of infrastructures (gates, sluices, portals). It was completed in 1626, and its wall, only two meters high, passed over gorges and very rugged slopes, thus enclosing the entire ridge of Montalbano. The 19th to 20th century historiography is rather vague about its location, because it was so vast that the exact course of the wall circuit was not known. For example, it was thought that the monumental gate of Poggio alla Malva was one of the accesses to the Barco Reale, when actually it was the entrance to the so-called Barchetto della Pineta, a small hunting reserve located on Poggio alla Malva, near Artimino, which was built almost a century before the Barco Reale. Today through the study of 18th-century maps and direct observation, we know the exact course of the wall of the great Medici hunting reserve, 52 kilometers, calculating an extension of fully 4000 hectares. Some surviving tracts of the wall, sometimes also in correspondence with locks and sluices, can now be visited.