This was the small center of the Valdelsa from which came the family of notaries active in Florence throughout the 14th century, and which was used also in signatures, as place of origin: da Camiano, “from Camiano.” The first professionals of this family known from written sources are Cambio di Michele and Michele di Ser Cambio da Camiano, “from Camiano.” In 1308, they were both in Florence, drafting the compromise to be signed by the two disputing branches of the Ubaldini family. Later we find them, again in Florence involved in drafting acts, which even end up in registers of public papers, such as, for example, the Liber Censuum of the municipality of Pistoia (Liber Censuum, year 1317, Florence, credit balance of Lapus quondam Strozze; year 1329, Florence, palace of the priors of the arts, peace between the municipalities of Florence and Pistoia). From the Pistoia register, still active in the first half of the 14th century was another notary, originally from Camiano, Francesco di Piero de Camiano, from the municipality of Castelfiorentino, whom we see working at Prato, on the same dossiers with which the notary Michele di Ser Cambio was involved, in Florence, in those same days. In the second half of the 15th century, the Cambi family appears to have been the largest landowner in the small rural municipality of Camiano. It is probably to this family, who originated at this place, that we owe the transformation of a part of the ancient castle into a refined country manor house. In the second half of the 15th century the Cambi, by this point Florentines for some generations, found new use for the old workers' houses that they still owned, in what was probably the castle village, transforming them into their "house for the lord." Remains of this first structure are visible inside the Villa Pucci, which occupies the western slope of the low hills of Cambiano Alto. The ample loggia, set on brick pillars of octagonal base that can still be seen on the ground floor of the villa, belonged to the first stately residence built by the Cambi family in their ancient estates. The most significant transformations occur only toward the end of the 16th century, when the primitive house for the lord was raised up, to the point of taking on its characteristic, compact block structure. During the 18th century the residence was completely reconfigured, on the initiative of Bernardo Cambi or of his son Niccolò Xaverio. The building was raised in the central part, leaving the main façade articulated over three floors above ground, with two lower side wings, made symmetrical by the addition of the building element to the left. The new façades were made uniform by new openings, among which stand out the ones on the ground floor, singularly resolved with an extremely simplified version of the finestra inginocchiata (kneeling window). On the façade, above the rusticated portal in neo-Cinquecento style, the Cambi family coat of arms. At the same time, the slope below was remodeled quite significantly, and the picturesque garden was created, with an ascending path marked by stairways embellished with wall fountains. In the garden at the back, we find the church of San Prospero, the castle’s ancient parish church. The first mention of the church dates from 1260, but in the 15th century, it was already a private chapel belonging to the Cambi family. Originally it was on a plan with three naves, and with a portico at the facade, with arches supported by massive pillars. The restorations of the last century have compromised its interpretability.