A map by the Capitani di Parte Guelfa from the late 16th century represents the community of San Bartolomeo a Streda. The position of the church is perfectly recognizable, situated near the main road network, roughly corresponding to the provincial road leading from Vinci to Toiano and then to Cerreto. The church is located on the ridge of a small hill overlooking the stream Streda, which at that point curves decidedly toward the west. From the small hillock of the church of San Bartolomeo, populated by peasant houses, it was possible to descend toward the valley along the numerous lanes that crisscrossed that slope during Leonardo’s time. At the bottom of the valley, near a bridge, there was a mill powered by the water from a millrace deriving from the stream. The da Vinci family owned a farm in these areas as early as 1451. As we read from the land registry records of Antonio di ser Piero, Leonardo's paternal grandfather, the parcels of land were located in the locality of la chosta and stretched as far as to skirt the stream Streda. The same properties are declared in the land registry of 1469. This time it was Leonardo's father, Ser Piero di Antonio, who described its value. The lands of the la chosta farm in the community of San Bartolomeo a Streda were cultivated with wheat, fodder, and wine, but the portion involving the vineyards must have been significant if the majority of the income was accounted for by wine (40 barrels) and if the total value of the property was estimated at 1000 florins.