Of the events of Montegufoni we have no information until the end of the 13th century, when it was purchased by the Acciaioli family, originally from Bergamo, who arrived in Florence at the beginning of the 12th century. On the site of the ancient Alberti fortress, the principal structures must have been restored, including the castle defenses, since in 1312 Montegufoni was claimed by Emperor Henry VII as a castle belonging to the Empire. There is no further information of the castle nor of its state of conservation until 1310, when Montegufoni was indicated as the place Niccolò degli Acciaioli was born. During the 14th century, the events relating to this personage were linked with the history of the ancient castle of Montegufoni. Niccolò, the most important exponent of the family, acquired prestige in the House of Anjou, holding the office of the Great Seneschal of the Kingdom of Naples. He had the protection of, among others, the Princes of Taranto, so that on the occasion of the 1345 wartime events between the Kingdom of Hungary and that of Naples, Montegufoni became the place where Prince Ludovico of Taranto found protection. At the time Niccolò had just put his hand to the project of the monumental Certosa di San Lorenzo (Galluzzo), while in those same years the Montegufoni residence must have had the appearance of a simple walled village. On the site of the ancient castle of the Counts Alberti, the buildings that made up the country residence of the Acciaioli were built in different times, but probably between the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the 14th century. The various building elements overlooked a central courtyard, and were probably surrounded by a curtain wall. Also on the square stood the church dedicated to San Lorenzo, embellished during Niccolò Acciaioli’s time by the wooden crucifix made by Taddeo Gaddi, a pupil of Giotto. At the end of the 14th century, Montegufoni was a village surrounded by walls, or at any rate, composed of buildings closely positioned to one another, giving the place the appearance of a small country fort. During the second half of the 14th century, when the tower was built, Donato del fu Iacopo Acciaioli, nephew of Niccolò, frequently resided in Montegufoni, as evidenced by the numerous letters he sent from this location. In 1372, there was even denouncement of a murder attempt, sustained by Donato Acciaioli himself, as he left the church to return to his home, in the keep of Montegufoni (intrans abitationem dicti casseri de Montegufoni, dum ab ecclesia rediret).