Leonardo mentions «Pandolfino» in two memorandums in the Codex Arundel and on folio RL 12675 (Windsor Castle). Francesco Pandolfini, Florentine ambassador to the court of the King of France, wrote to the Signoria reporting that Louis XII wished for Leonardo to remain in Milan in 1507 as his painter and engineer.
Among the Pandolfini family were 28 priors and 12 gonfaloniers in Florence. The family also had the patronage of the Badia Fiorentina, where it ordered the funerary monument to Giannozzo, the work of Rossellino's shop, and the portal of Benedetto da Rovezzano (1495). The residence of the Pandolfini - at the time of Leonardo - stood in the street that bears their name today (between Via Verdi and Via del Proconsolo). Around 1520 the family moved to the palazzo in Via San Gallo built to the design of Raphael by Francesco and Bastiano (known as Aristotele) da Sangallo. Among the most interesting examples of a Late Renaissance palazzo in Florence, it is distinguished by the presence of only two storeys instead of the canonical three.