«Labours of Hercules at Piero Ginori»: this memorandum by Leonardo in the Codex Atlanticus refers to Pier Francesco of the Ginori family, whose palazzo, attributed to Baccio d’Agnolo, stands in the street of the same name, between Piazza San Lorenzo and Via Guelfa. Built for Carlo Ginori around 1516-1520, the palazzo was enlarged in the late 17th century, also with the addition of a garden, and again in the early 19th century through the purchase of an adjacent building.
The Ginori family, which came from Calenzano, split into several branches in the late 15th century, some of them still existing today as the Ginori Lisci and Ginori Conti. Among its members we may recall Gabriello Ginori, who was Podestà of Milan in 1494, the year when Leonardo too was in the capital city of the Sforza duke.
In the 18th century the Ginori descendants founded the famous porcelain factory at Doccia.