The Monastery of San Donato a Scopeto with its church was situated just outside the walls of Florence (in the vicinity of the "Gattolina" gate, that is, Porta Romana), toward today's Via Foscolo, close to Bellosguardo and not far from Monteoliveto. The ancient monastery was bought by the Cistercian monks of Badia a Settimo in 1370 and by the Augustinians in 1420. Ser Piero Da Vinci was their notary.
For them Leonardo began, in 1481, the great panel of the Adoration of the Magi, which he left unfinished when he departed for Milan; the commission was then given to his friend Filippino Lippi. Both paintings are in the Uffizi today.
In 1529, the year when Florence was besieged by the army of Charles V, the monastery and church were destroyed and the precious paintings kept there, which included those of Botticelli, were moved elsewhere. The marbles of the portico were instead reutilised in 1575 for the church of San Jacopo Soprarno.