"S. Nicholò": Porta San Niccolò
Built around 1324, attributed also to Andrea Orcagna; still existing today in Piazza Poggi, at the foot of the nineteenth-century ramps that climb up the hill to Piazzale Michelangelo. It is the highest gate (45 meters), not having been lowered ("scapitozzata", or beheaded) in the 16th century.
Leonardo recalls it again around 1504 in the Codex Arundel: «The Casacce wall straightens out at the San Nicolò Gate».
"Sanminiato": Porta San Miniato
Built prior to 1324 in the circle of walls dating from 1258, still existing at the foot of Via Monte alle Croci. Leonardo shifts it to the right.
"Giorgo": Porta San Giorgio
Built with the sixth circle of walls in 1324, according to a project attributed to Andrea Orcagna; still existing, between Forte Belvedere and the Bastione Bardini.
Leonardo indicates it in the position of today's Porta Romana.
"Ghattolini": Porta Romana ("Porta Ghattolini", known in the past as Porta di San Pietro Gattuari or Porta a San Pier Gattolino)
Built around 1328, in only four years, to the design of Jacopo Orcagna, it is the largest of those still existing, even though the foregate was demolished on the occasion of the entry of Pope Leo X Medici in 1515. The gate stands at the end of Via Romana, in proximity to the Convento della Calza. Leonardo indicates it in the position of Porta di Camaldoli (or Porta Volterrana).
"San Frediano": Porta San Frediano
Built in 1324, attributed to Andrea Pisano, also known as "della Verzaia" for the vegetable gardens outside the gate; still existing today. Just above it is a circle without name that might indicate the Torrino di Santa Rosa.