A sculptor who trained as a young man with Verrocchio's circle, he was influenced by Leonardo, as shown by some roughed-out sculptures inspired by the Battle of Anghiari.
His family lived in a house adorned with the heraldic arms of the griffon, between Via dei Neri and Piazza Peruzzi, in today's Via dei Rustici.
Starting in 1506 he worked on the sculptural group representing the Preaching of the Baptist for the Florentine Baptistery, with the advice and perhaps the participation of Leonardo; the two artists lived together in the nearby Palazzo Martelli.
In Florence his works can be seen at the Bargello Museum, among other places.
At Certaldo, his Bust of Boccaccio is found in the Church of Santi Jacopo e Filippo.